This unique sweet and salty Asian Cheese Ball perfectly captures the flavors of Korean BBQ. Serve it with rice crackers for an easy gluten free appetizer.
Next week we run full swing into the start of the holiday season so I think it is officially time to shout, “Bring On The Cheese Balls!!!!!!!!!” Yep, worth shouting about.
The Asian Cheese ball is a creamy blend of ginger and sweet, salty, savory flavors just like you would find at a Korean BBQ. I actually started with ingredients from our favorite meat marinades when I was experimenting. It is a lot of fun and because it is best with gluten free rice crackers it is perfect to fit that gluten free niche.
The traditional favorites are worth doing because they are just SO good and we all look forward to them but give this Asian Cheese Ball a try too this year. It will really shine and I think it just might become a new favorite you make year after year! Enjoy your holiday season friends, may it be merry and bright!
Tools In This Post: When I first started cooking with Jon I had never used sesame oil. It just sounded too weird! Now I love just a little bit in all sorts of things. I suggest getting a small bottle – a little bit goes a long way. Most grocery stores have something in their Asian section but if not, Amazon has a variety. We are not picky about the brand.
If you like this, you might also like these yummy Korean Beef Lettuce Cups. They are one of our all time favorite appetizers!
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic
- 1½ tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Yoshida sauce
- 1 Tbsp. green onion, minced very fine
- ½ tsp. fresh coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. sesame oil
- ⅓ cup toasted sesame seeds to coat
- Sesame rice crackers for serving
- In a stand mixer or by hand whip softened cream cheese until it is fluffy. Add everything else except the sesame seeds and beat until combined.
- Scoop the cheese mixture unto a big piece of plastic wrap. Use the wrap to protect your hands while you form a ball from the mixture. Refrigerate until chilled through and firm.
- Remove from plastic wrap and roll ball in the sesame seeds to coat. Serve with rice crackers for the best flavor.
This recipe is participating in Weekend Potluck!
Get Your Free Recipe Book
Subscribe for a weekly dose of cooking connection from Mirlandra.