Ladies and Gentlemen! I would like to announce that soup season has arrived!!! Summer seemed longer and hotter than usual and I waited (not at all patiently) for fall to sweep in and bring soup season with it!
Minestrone soup is always good. I like the tomato base, all the nice veggies and the sprinkle of cheese on top. This year I wanted a soup with some oomph and a good dose of protein. It was time to play on a classic. This is new at our house but we have already eaten two entire batches.
This time of year always seems very busy with kids back in school and fall schedules picking up. I needed a handy lunch that was healthy and filling without having to fuss in the kitchen. This has fit the bill perfectly. It comes together in 30 minutes so you can make it for a weeknight dinner but my favorite way to make it is on the weekend so it can sit a day or two before we eat it.
I know it might sound a little crazy but make sure to include the hamburger drippings. It’s the perfect amount of fat for this soup. Fat carries flavor and in this case the soup gets its richness from the beef fat. If you don’t have good fresh tomatoes just use another can of stewed.
I hope you like this on your fall table as much as I do! Sadly I’m down to one last serving in the fridge. Maybe it’s time for another batch?
This Slow Cooker Pot Roast is another of my easy cold weather favorites and it is one of my most popular posts on the blog!
This recipe is participating in the Weekend Potluck!
- 1 15oz can Italian Stewed Tomatoes (any brand)
- 2 cups fresh garden tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 3 Tablespoons beef bouillon
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can of small white beans OR kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of mushroom stems and pieces (6.5oz) drained
- olive oil for frying.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced + 2 cups water
- 1lbs of hamburger (no more than 20% fat)
- 1 cup pasta (bow ties, penne, small shells. etc)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Torn basil leaves
- In a food processor combine the canned and fresh tomatoes. Include the liquid from the can of tomatoes. Grind for one minute until there are no chunks remaining.
- Into your soup put put all the tomatoes, 4 cups water, bouillon, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Add the mushrooms and beans. Bring to a boil on high and then turn down to a rapid simmer.
- Dice and cook onion in cast iron pan on high. Once it starts to brown turn it down to medium and cook until golden, stirring occasionally. When it is done, add to soup.
- Dice celery and put in microwave safe bowl with 2 cups of water. Microwave on high for 5-8 minutes until celery is fork tender. When the celery is done add it to the pot along with remaining water.
- Brown the hamburger in a cast iron on medium high. Add it along with all the drippings to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil again and then add the pasta. Simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Taste for salt, pepper, garlic etc. Adjust as necessary. Serve with toppings or crusty bread.
Get Your Free Recipe Book
Subscribe for a weekly dose of cooking connection from Mirlandra.