Cooked pineapple is one of the true treasures in life and it is also quite easy to toss together. I absolutely love pineapple ham but since I usually use the leftover ham and broth for soups pineapple is generally a bad choice for me. These days I must make Brown Sugar Roasted Pineapple as a side dish and thus allowing me to have pineapple ham for dinner but not for leftover soup. Smart huh…
When it comes to a holiday ham dinner I usually have a lot going on but this side dish takes less than 5 minutes to assemble. Roasting the pineapple chunks at high heat in butter and sugar with a little salt and cinnamon brings out the fruit’s rich sweet flavor perfectly.
While this is one of my favorite things to serve with ham it also is great for breakfast with sausage and pancakes, served with pulled pork BBQ or hamburgers, and even for dessert by itself or to top ice cream. You have to love a recipe that is so incredibly versatile.
Easter is right around the corner. What are you making for dinner?
- 4 cups fresh or frozen pineapple chunks (I used Kirkland frozen pineapple chunks)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Cut fresh pineapple into chunks or thaw the frozen pineapple in the microwave until it is mostly thawed. If you are using frozen and thawed pineapple include any juice from the thawing process.
- In a medium bowl combine all of the ingredients. Stir by tossing gently until all the pineapple is well coated.
- Pour the pineapple mixture into a large, rectangular baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring about half way through.
- The pineapple is done when it turns a rich golden and begins to brown but before it starts to blacken.
This recipe is participating in Weekend Potluck.
This cinnamon from Costco usually runs $2.99 in the warehouse and the quality is over the top! It’s so good I have given it for Christmas gifts to fellow cooks more than once. If you buy it on Amazon it is a bit more expensive but still a better deal than smaller bottles of inferior quality at the store.