This Chocolate Cheesecake Frosting tastes just like whipped chocolate cheesecake! It is a simple chocolate cream cheese buttercream that pipes beautifully unto cupcakes or cakes. A hint of almond extract brings out the bold chocolate flavor making this frosting a chocolate lover’s dream!
I am convinced that this frosting makes the world a better place! It is easy, light and fluffy, beautiful and absolutely delicious! This is my favorite go-to chocolate frosting. It is hands down the best I have ever made. I’m pretty sure I will never make better!
In the name of cooking science I made a LOT of frosting to figure out what chocolate frosting would be life changing. I made cupcakes and cupcakes and more cupcakes to go with all the batches of frosting.
When I made my final batch it is possible I got a bit carried away. I was so excited with my final recipe that I gave Jack (my one year old) an entire cupcake to demolish. He had no complaints about my heavy handed generosity. By the time I was done it felt like I had given cupcakes to everybody we knew!
Maybe it is silly to think that a good frosting recipe makes the world a better place. But, I’m guessing the first time you slather this chocolate cheesecake frosting on a birthday cake for somebody you love my point will be made.
Tools In This Post: I love using just a hint of almond extract in baking. It brings out the flavor of chocolate and gives complexity to recipes. A little goes a long ways but I buy big bottles and use it often.
I used my trusty open star (Wilton 1 M) frosting tip to pipe the frosting unto these cupcakes. You literally just swirl it on! Even if you have never decorated cupcakes before you can get good results. I suggest flipping a water or juice glass upside down and practicing on the bottom. When you feel like you have it just put the frosting back into your bag and pipe it unto the cupcakes. You will be amazed how easy it is to get beautiful results.
Love great frosting? These Apple Cupcakes with Apple Beer Buttercream are a true treat.
- 8 oz package cream cheese, room temp
- ½ cup salted butter, room temp
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder such as Hershey or Hershey Dark
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ - ½ tsp. almond extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip cream cheese and butter on high until mixed, about 30 seconds.
- Add everything else and mix on slow until combined. Then beat on high until light and fluffy and no lumps remain, 2-3 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes or cake as desired.
- This is enough frosting to frost one standard cake or 1-2 dozen cupcakes depending on how thick you make the frosting. I used a Wilton 1M tip to make the pattern seen in the recipe photos.
This recipe is participating in Weekend Potluck!
Get Your Free Recipe Book
Subscribe for a weekly dose of cooking connection from Mirlandra.