Thick layers of pound cake or angel food cake are filled with rich pineapple cream for this easy pineapple cake. Only five ingredients and ten minutes!
I love long complex cooking projects – sometimes. I also have a busy eight month old son and a crazy life and piles of laundry that come around day in day out. Sometimes I NEED dessert and dessert needs to be simple!
Over the summer my friend Lacy made me her grandmother’s Pineapple Cake. Lacy is a great cook but this particular dessert pretty much blew my mind! It was just so rich and creamy and pineappley (which I know is not a word.)
Lacy is also a very, very, very good friend so she handed over the recipe and gave me permission to share it. I literally tossed it together in 10 minutes. You just can’t beat that for easy dessert! I know it is kind of more of a spring and summer dish but I was not waiting six plus months to share it with you all.
Those of you who have been around the cooking block a few times might recognize this recipe as Dole Golden Layer Cake or Pineapple Dream Cake. The recipe is probably original to Dole.
Wherever its origin, try to find 10 minutes to whip one up before you get totally lost in pumpkin and apple and Halloween candy. Trust me; it is more than worth it!
Tools In This Post: The Amaretto flavor in this cake is perfect and not to be missed. If you don’t want to use alcohol, this syrup is a good substitution.
Love Pineapple? Don’t miss one of my all time most popular recipes for Brown Sugar Roasted Pineapple!
- 1 can crushed pineapple, 20oz (do not drain)
- 1 carton thawed cool whip, 8oz
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding, 4 serving size (3.4oz)
- 1 pound cake, 16oz or angel food cake if desired
- ⅓ cup amaretto liquor
- Garnish as desired with slices of pineapple, toasted almonds or maraschino cherries
- In a medium bowl combine the pineapple with all of the juice, the pudding and the cool whip. Stir with a spoon until well mixed. Let the mixture stand for five minutes.
- Cut cake into three layers and brush with amaretto.
- Divide the filling between the layers of cake and on the top to create three layers of filling.
- Garnish as desire and refrigerate until ready to serve.
This post is participating in the Weekend Potluck!